Thursday, September 23, 2010

Events of the Week

This past weekend was an eventful one.  We concluded the weekend with a dinner consisting of cheesey goodness, Brie and Carmelized Onions Fondue, savory Filet Mignon wrapped in Bacon with sauteed spinach and parmasean cheese (more cheesey goodness), then finished it off with a Caramel Apple Cake.

This night much like any other could have easily made us stop talking to eachother and ended in tears. HOWEVER we pulled it through and learned another valuable lesson...SPLENDA IS NOT REAL SUGAR. Splenda does not make caramel, INFACT it make rock hard candy while still in a skillet. Unbelievable.  Thank you Robin for trying but splenda is just crap.  Sweet, crap.  It refused to dissolve or even brown!  Frank was close to giving up, but i was determined! I drove, though probably not the best idea, down to the local Shop Rite for the real thing.  All in all the meal was a success, (even though Robin refused to try our delicate spinach) it turned out well...

HOWEVER! Tomorrow, Friday the 24th Frank and I have the opportunity to cook for the Brave Firefighters of New Brunswick!  My oldest brother is a member of the New Brunswick Fire Co. and got approval from the Chief to let us cook for him and the rest of his crew.  This is an honor for us, and a chance for us to show appreciation to theses brave guys.  And a chance for me to show my Big Bro what I can really do...assuming it all turns out right. 

3 comments:

  1. 1. Do not blame me for the Splenda! I was standing in Target when you called and they were completely out of sugar and I was supposed to be at dinner in 15 minutes! I offered you the brown sugar they had and I bet that would have worked better, but NOOOO "Just get the Splenda!" I refuse to accept responsibility!!

    2. I meant no offense to your spinach, just creamed spinach makes me gag. There was an unfortunate childhood incident with me almost vomiting at the dinner table and my parents laughing at me. And then making me eat more spinach.

    3. #2 Explains a lot about how we manage to be friends.

    4. The stuff I did eat was yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes yes Robin... i know, i didnt blame you! haha just telling the story man haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. *raises hand* when am I going to be invited to one of these dinners?! <3

    ReplyDelete